VoiceGuy

This is home to the VoiceGuy Podcast, hosted by Eric Armstrong. It's also his professional blog on vocal coaching, voice teaching, dialect, accent, Shakespeare text, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Monday, June 27, 2005

Today, while waiting for my van at the dealer, I did up this week's Imagine IPA Letter. It's based on a recording of Lorraine Hansberry talking about her play A Raisin in the Sun, which I found at the History Channel's Great Speech Archive. I also chose to include the poem by Langston Hughes that inspired the title for the play, A Dream Deferred. There was a lot of variability in her speech, with some lexical sets taking some r-colouring, and some taking none! And then there was some free variation, too, where she was inconsistent of her usage. The happY "-y endings" set of words were sometimes very open, with the KIT vowel, and sometimes quite tense, with almost a FLEECE quality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home